About me

You are welcome to my personal blog. I am Kapil Dev Regmi, a graduate in English Language Teaching, Education and Sociology. Now I am a student at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC. My area of research is lifelong learning in developing countries. This blog (ripples of my heart) is my personal inventory. It includes everything that comes in my mind. If any articles or notes in this blog impinge anyone that would only be a foible due to coincidence. Also visit my academic website (click here)

Friday, February 12, 2010

Corporal Punishment

Some of the behavioral psychologists claim that corporal punishment can remove some of the negative learning habits of the children. To some extent negative reinforcement can foster some of the developmental aspects of the children, nevertheless, various researches on the ‘effect of punishment on child development’ have shown that corporal punishment doesn’t help for the overall development of the children.
The first thing we should always keep in mind is that no child is born with bad habits. It’s the environment around him where s/he is nurtured make the child to have bad habits. They may learn if the teacher or the parents fear them of corporal punishment but the learning of this kind can’t be effective and long lasting as well. Learning should be creative but not imposed in any case. So in my opinion there is no point in punishing students physically. Constructive counseling can bring more fruitful results than corporal punishment.

No comments: