About me

You are welcome to my personal blog. I am Kapil Dev Regmi, a graduate in English Language Teaching, Education and Sociology. Now I am a student at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC. My area of research is lifelong learning in developing countries. This blog (ripples of my heart) is my personal inventory. It includes everything that comes in my mind. If any articles or notes in this blog impinge anyone that would only be a foible due to coincidence. Also visit my academic website (click here)

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Case 1: A Girl in Poverty

Prativa Nepali (name changed) is a student of Shree Balkalyan Secondary School that lies in Siddheswori VDC of Salyan District. She studies in Grade 8 and her performance is moderate.
She is the first daughter of her parents. There are six members in her family but now her father has gone to India for earning. Her mother is a farmer, a porter and a housewife. Though she is a normal girl at her teen but her life has not been so normal. She has to do hard labor in the morning and in the evening. She comes to school in the day but not always. She does her homework at night.
Prativa was born in poverty, has been nurtured in poverty and struggling to break the vicious cycle of abject poverty. The amount of crops they grow in a small patch of land suffices only for three months. When somebody asks her mother for carrying load, that becomes a fortunate time for her family because she gets 120 rupees a day but this so called fortune knocks her door only occasionally (one or two times in a month). At the time of planting and harvesting crops her mother gets opportunity to work in the field of others that yield little amount of grains as wage and the day would be great day for their stomachs. Her father left home 7 months ago, but has been able to send just 1000 IC so far. Prativa says, “We are in debt of 20,000 rupees that is getting much more every month with its additive interests”.
The RtF program that has been making various interventions to write the golden future of the children like Prativa has not been able to respond effectively. “Once, when I was in Grade 7 CWIN [a PNGO implementing RtF] provided me with a bag, 1 dozen dot pens, 18 pieces of exercise books, and dress. Perhaps, that was the happiest moment of my life but when I passed and started studying in Grade 8 I have not got any. The life is more aggravated now than it was in the past and I am helpless.”

No comments: