About me

You are welcome to my personal blog. I am Kapil Dev Regmi, a graduate in English Language Teaching, Education and Sociology. Now I am a student at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC. My area of research is lifelong learning in developing countries. This blog (ripples of my heart) is my personal inventory. It includes everything that comes in my mind. If any articles or notes in this blog impinge anyone that would only be a foible due to coincidence. Also visit my academic website (click here)

Monday, May 18, 2009

Statistical Tests

While analysing quantitative data a number of tests can be used.



  • When population is normal or sample size is large (i.e. n>30) or population variance is known then we have to use z-test.

  • When population is normal and sample size is small (i.e. n<30)>
  • When we want to test the equality of variance of two normal populations, we make use of F-test based on F-distribution

By comparing the observed value of F with the corresponding table value,we can infer whether the difference between the variance of samples could have arisen due to sampling fluctuation.


If the calculated value of F is greater

No comments: