About me

You are welcome to my personal blog. I am Kapil Dev Regmi, a graduate in English Language Teaching, Education and Sociology. Now I am a student at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC. My area of research is lifelong learning in developing countries. This blog (ripples of my heart) is my personal inventory. It includes everything that comes in my mind. If any articles or notes in this blog impinge anyone that would only be a foible due to coincidence. Also visit my academic website (click here)

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hypothesis for Small Samples

  • When we have a small sample from a normal population, we use the same method as a large sample except we use the t-statistic instead of z-statistic. Hence, we need to find the degrees of freedom (n-1) and use the t-table in the back of the book.
  • A z-statistic is usually used for large sample size (n greater or equal to 30) drawn randomly. The population standard deviation is estimated by the sample standard deviation. The t curves are bell shaped and distributed arond t=0. The exact shape on a given t-curve depends on the degree of freedom. In case of performing multiple comparisions by on way Anova, the F-statistic is normally used. The critical value of 'F' is read off from the tables on the F-distrubition knowing the type I error and the degree of freedom betwen and within the groups.

No comments: