About me

You are welcome to my personal blog. I am Kapil Dev Regmi, a graduate in English Language Teaching, Education and Sociology. Now I am a student at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC. My area of research is lifelong learning in developing countries. This blog (ripples of my heart) is my personal inventory. It includes everything that comes in my mind. If any articles or notes in this blog impinge anyone that would only be a foible due to coincidence. Also visit my academic website (click here)

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Learning new words

If you don't know the meaning of the word sabbatical, don't worry just make a plausible conjecture. I will give you a clue:



"Mr. Belbase has been in a sabbatical leave so you can't call him as an emeritus professor", acclaimed the Dean.



Oh, did I bemuse you by inducting another word emeritus? Don't worry, here is another conjecture for your cogent guess:



When I asked the Dean to nominate Mr. Sharma as my dissertation supervisor he modestly assured me that he was an emeritus professor of the university so he could no longer work as a supervisor.



Then I asked, "What about Prof. Parajuly". Then the Dean intransigetly told me that he couldn't nominate such a peripatetic demagogue as a supervisor.



Now your acumen might have reached a new acclivity. You might have made some credible conjectures on the semantic sense of the words introduced.

But I couldn't get supervisor because Mr. Belbase had gone for his research, Mr Sharma had already been retired, and Mr. Parajuly had left gone to another University to work.

No comments: